The technology that we see today in an evaporative air cooler is not entirely a new idea.Â Before the invention of air conditioning or air coolers, people used to handle hot summer nights by sleeping outside on screened-in porches.
They would hang wet sheets inside the screened panes, and as the warm air passed through the screen, it would be cooled by the wet sheets.
That cooler air would circulate slowly, cooling the sleeping area and easing the suffering that summer nights could cause.
Today we have the technology to cool our indoors sleeping and living quarters much more effectively, but one of these technologies, the air cooler, works very effectively on a similar principle as the one employed by those earlier cooing attempts.
Evaporation happens in nature all the time. It is the way that our bodies cool themselves by the process of sweat evaporating off of the skin. Youâ€™ll notice the effects of natural evaporative cooling near bodies of water as a cool breeze comes off the water, especially in areas with hotter, drier air.
As the dry air passes over the water, the air will absorb some of the water and become cooler because heat naturally tries to equalize itself. Meaning that when a hotter and cooler material intersect, the nature of thermodynamics is that the 2 materials will transfer heat until they are the same temperature.
So, as the air meets the water, some of the heat moves from the hotter air to the cooler water, leaving the evaporative cooler than it was. A cooler simply puts this natural event to regular use in a machine that will efficiently and effectively cool your home or office.
But the best evaporative coolers don’t just cool the air, they also move it through the room with a fan or blowing system. The cooler pulls fresh hot air from outside through moist pads so that it can pick up water and be cooled by as much as 30 degrees. The pads also have the added advantage of acting as an air purifier or ionizer. That cooler, cleaner air is then blown throughout the room or the building.
Because the cooler has to have dry air in order to pick up water and be cooled, evaporative coolers work best inÂ dry, hot climates. But where they do work, they can be much more cost effective than regular air conditioners or other cooling home appliances. Not to mention the fact that they are also better for the environment. You can even find solar-powered evaporative coolers for the truly environmentally concerned.
There are sizes with air speeds available for every need, from portable window coolers to high-powered industrial coolers for commercial use. Whatever the need, there is an evaporative cooler to meet it.
- 1 But What Exactly is a Swamp Cooler?
- 2 Best Swamp Coolers For the Money
- 2.1 1. Champion Wind Evaporative Swamp Cooler
- 2.2 2. SPT SF-608R Portable Evaporative Air Cooler
- 2.3 3. Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-14S)
- 2.4 How evaporative coolers work
- 2.5 Things to consider when buying evaporative coolers for sale:
- 2.6 Reasons to buy evaporative air coolers
- 2.7 Here are some of the evaporative cooler designs:
- 3 Tips For Swamp Cooler Maintenance
- 4 Getting Replacement Parts for Your Swamp Cooler
- 5 Swamp Cooler Vs Air Conditioner
But What Exactly is a Swamp Cooler?
AÂ swamp cooler, which is also calledÂ evaporative cooler, is a chiller that works by using the heat exchange principles. It can be utilized during the summer months when the temperature is higher and there is a need toÂ cool downÂ the interior of your house or car.
In general, this type of cooler is also a closed system much like air conditioners which works byÂ cycling cold water through pipesÂ that are connected to a ventilation system which would be a fan.
The fan channels air over the series of pipes that are cooled by the cold water. This results to a cooling effect, which can be used in almost any interior.
Evaporative coolersÂ are considered theÂ ideal optionÂ to make homes cooler during the hot summer months. If you are spendingÂ too much moneyÂ on a monthly basis to use your air conditioning unit, then you should get one of these coolers.
Best Swamp Coolers For the Money
TheÂ Champion Wind Evaporative Swamp CoolerÂ is a high quality evaporative window cooling unit that offers supreme cooling efficiency while being extremely energy efficient.
One of the great features that this swamp cooler has to offer is that it is made of high end polyester that will help prevent the unit from rusting and corroding over time.
Another great quality of this quality swamp cooler is that it features bolted construction which offers easy maintenance for consumers.
With the powerful 2800 cubic feet per minute blowing capacity this evaporative cooler offers great power for an affordable price that will quickly lower the temperature by approximately 20-30 degrees depending on the level of humidity in the air.
If you are looking for a reliable evaporative swamp cooler, theÂ Champion Wind Evaporative Swamp CoolerÂ is a great option.
The SF-608R is made from Sunpentown manufacture. This particular model of portable evaporative cooler is currentlyÂ one of the best-selling portable coolers in amazon.
The reason is because it possesses the best quality with the most affordable price compare to other air cooler devices. The wheels are attached to the bottom of this device, therefore it can move easily from one place to the other.
This model can quickly cool the air around up to twelve degrees cooler within a short amount of time.
How Does This Portable Swamp Cooler Work?
TheÂ SF-608R evaporative coolerÂ works by circulating the air. Cool air will be supplied to the room, in a constant manner. If itâ€™s placed near the door, then it will draw the air from the outside. The pads have enough moisture to filter the air and make it cool, as the pads have enough moisture in them. The process of filtration will produce cool air to be circulated. For best results, itâ€™s important to keep the windows open to let the warm air go out of the room. The level of water cannot be controlled, because of the portable nature of an evaporative cooler. However, manual regulation can always be carried out.
Useful Specs of This Portable Unit
â€¢Â Â Â A portable, cost-efficient humidifier for home or office
â€¢Â Â Â Air distribution through the oscillating louvers
â€¢Â Â Â Fully functional remote controller
â€¢Â Â Â 10-liter water tank, a timer, and 3 speed air system
What Should Be Done to Maintain The Cooler?
The cooler might lose its capacity, when the climate gets too hot to handle. That will increase the level of corrosion, resulting in shortening the lifespan of the cooling system. The user needs to ensure that the pads get the moisture, through the continuous supply of water. A filtering unit needs to be there in the portable evaporative cooler, for the wet pads to be accumulated. This filter will also ensure that it restricts the odors from coming inside the office or room.
What Are Some of The Issues with This Model?
The main issues of this SF-608R cooler are the fact that it doesnâ€™t work great for very humid climate and in large rooms. It is best to use it for dry weather or having little bit of humidity. It is also not wise to use it for big office or large firmâ€™s warehouse. The ideal place to put it is in smaller room and personal space.
3. Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-14S)
The Whynter 14000 dual hose portable air conditioner (ARC-14S) is the best option for conditioning the air of the limited space. If you are interested to get the assistance of a well working device that can be mounted in a fix place once, you should select purchasing dual hose portable air conditioner. Itâ€™s easy to find the one of your interest in the online store of Amazon for just $440 where you can get 3 % discount at the retail price of this AC.
This particular air conditioner model weighs about 96 pounds and features the outstanding performance for cooling the space and offering a reasonable price. It is alsoÂ one of the best-selling portable air conditioners in Amazon.
Features of The Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-14S)
â€¢Â Â Â The exclusive air conditioner works on trial operational modes.
â€¢Â Â Â The remote controlling feature of the device assists the user to adjust the speed and switching on and off the air conditioner with the help of remote controller.
â€¢Â Â Â The awesome device is provided with the thermostat unit to help with the digital read out function.
â€¢Â Â Â You can enjoy the working of the machine automatically according to the set up time with the assistance of a programmable timer.
Specific Properties of Whynter ARC-14S
TheÂ Whynter dual hose portable air conditioner (ARC-14S)Â possesses the capability of 100 pints per day while its fan system runs in three different speeds.Â Utilizing the variety of functions and settings in the air conditioner, you can adjust the device according to your requirement in the particular situation.
You donâ€™t need to mount the air conditioner permanently; thus, there is not any problem of attaching or mounting the machine anywhere in the permanent manner. You just require choosing a suitable spot in your room where you can get water and ventilation.
The user friendly digital control works better in the Air Conditioning unit with the help of its remote control. It works well for changing the settings as soon as you get the indication of unbalanced temperature by the thermostat. On the other hand, the built in timer in the AC requires setting only once and it automatically changes the setting throughout the day.
Apart from these capacities, the Whynter (ARC-14S) comes with additional utilities such as plastic windows, a carbon air filter and reusable pre filter along with every new air conditioning unit. The extra ordinary air conditioner has been constructed with the latest engineering that declines the requirement of energy in the air conditioning unit along with the maintenance of the performance of the device.
- The installation of the device is very easy and straight forward as well as the machine is operated without creating any sound.
- The exclusive dual hose air conditioner excludes the requirement of central air system.
- The AC unit cools the room rapidly and represents highly effective results.
How evaporative coolers work
An evaporative cooler is also called aÂ swamp coolerÂ and it willÂ reduce the temperatureÂ in the house with an evaporation process using the water that is coming from the machineâ€™s reservoir.
- Liquid is evaporated by a certain level of heat, which is calledÂ latent heat. The swamp or evaporative cooler will draw latent heatÂ from the atmosphereÂ to evaporate the water that isÂ inside the reservoir.
- You will feel a drop in the temperature as the water starts to evaporate because the action willÂ atomize into tiny dropletsÂ that will make the surroundings cooler.
Besides the home coolers, you can also findÂ industrial evaporative coolers.Â The industrial and the home units can be installed on theÂ roof,Â windowsÂ orÂ exterior wallsÂ ofÂ buildings. The fan would draw air from the surroundings through the vents at the sides and the damp pads in order to cool down the building.
Things to consider when buying evaporative coolers for sale:
1. The air conditioning units usually suck heat from the room in order to make it cooler and this action will cause hot air to blow on the outside. But, this is different for the coolers. The evaporative orÂ swamp cooler partsÂ include:
- Water tank
The bestÂ evaporative coolersÂ will haveÂ thick padsÂ as these can hold lots of water to carry out the cooling down process. As opposed to drawing hot air from the inside, anÂ evaporative coolerÂ willÂ take in the hot airÂ and then theÂ wet padsÂ willÂ make it cooler.
Based on how the cooler works, it is very important to buy one of theÂ high-qualityÂ pads in order for the unit toÂ work effectively. When the pads areÂ thick and are more absorbent, the unit will cool the hot air effectively.
2.Â Portable evaporative coolersÂ are available inÂ many sizes and shapes. These are made withÂ wheels on the bottomÂ forÂ portability, so you can buy one of these units to use anywhere inside the house. Apart from that, you can take them to other locations if you have to travel to somewhere that is extremely hot.
Reasons to buy evaporative air coolers
- These coolers comeÂ highly recommendedÂ if you are looking for way to save money byÂ reducing your cooling expenses.
- In addition to reducing your utility bills, this cooling method willÂ protect you against harmful chemicals. The unit is not made to use harmful chemicals which are dangerous for you and the environment.
- Besides the fact that the unit is easy to use, theÂ swamp cooler partsÂ will work to cool the surroundings in aÂ natural wayÂ usingÂ humidity and heat. Some of the main cooler parts include a blower motor; blower;Â evaporative pads;Â screen;Â recirculationÂ water pumpÂ andÂ float valve.
- Most of the units are made with features that will help toÂ eliminate dust and pollenÂ from the house. So, the cooler will give you the peace of mind to know that you are saving the environment and reducing your electric bill at the same time.
- Portable evaporative air coolersÂ are made withÂ special padsÂ toÂ cool and dampen the room. It will work by taking in the hot air and then the wet pads will push it outside to give cool temperatures ofÂ 10 to 15 degrees.
- The evaporativeÂ air coolersÂ use a cooling system that willÂ evaporate liquid in the surroundingsÂ in order toÂ cool any liquid or objectÂ that it come in contact with.
Here are some of the evaporative cooler designs:
Two-stage cooler: This traditional cooling system is also called anÂ indirect cooling system. It will only use a small amount of energy forÂ vapor compression. You should know there is a drawback to using one of theseÂ air coolersÂ because they have a tendency to make peopleÂ uncomfortableÂ as theÂ air will become humid.
Cooling towers: These structures are used toÂ cool waterÂ and will work like the evaporative cooler system. Generally, these cooling towers are used onÂ tall and large buildingsÂ orÂ industrial sitesÂ and will work byÂ transferring heat from chillers to the environment.
Direct Evaporative Cooler: With one of theseÂ home air coolers, the energy in the atmosphere will not change. This is anÂ open circuit systemÂ that is used toÂ reduce the temperatureÂ by a process of evaporating latent heat to change water to vapor. During this process, warm dry air will be changed toÂ moist and cool air.
Indirect Evaporative Cooler: This has similarities to the direct system, but itâ€™s aÂ closed circuit. For this system to work, it needs some kind ofÂ heat exchanger. When the air is cool and moist, it will not come in contact with a conditioned atmosphere.
- Energy efficient: Due to their unique design and the fact that smaller blower motors are needed to cool a home, swamp coolers use 1/4 of the energy used by standard air conditioning units. What does that mean in terms of operating costs? Well, operating costs are incredibly lower, sometimes as much as 80% lower!
- Cheap to install: Purchase and installation costs run approximately $700 to $1,000.
- Easy Maintenance: Swamp coolers require only minimal mechanical knowledge whereas the maintenance of traditional air conditioning systems need to left to the professionals. (Just be sure the circuit breakers for the cooling system are tuned off â€“ water and electricity do NOT mix.)
- Refreshed Air: Swamp coolers, due to their design, push warm air out of the space through widows slightly ajar. Because of this, the air is freshly recirculated and a complete air change occurs every at least every 3 minutes. Air conditioner units recirculate old air. Swamp coolers also improve the breathability of the air.
- Works best in dry climates with temperatures above 80Â° F and humidity below 30%. Hot, wet climates are ill suited as the air is already heavy with humidity and not enough additional water will evaporate to actually make a difference. They are found primarily in the western United States including California, Arizona & New Mexico.
- Prevalent where sufficient water is available. Because swamp coolers work on the premise of water evaporation to cool the ambient temperature in a room, they need a constant source of fresh water. They draw 3-11 gallons of water per hour. Locations without an ample water source are less likely to use these coolers.
- Freeze Protection Needed: The water supply line has to be protected against freezing in the winter; therefore, the entire unity has to be drained.
- The [moist] pads which the air blows need to be changed frequently and the unit itself has to be cleaned periodically. This prevents the buildup of bacteria and mineral deposits.
- Airborne contaminants may be blown into the building. The system is constantly pulling air from outside to push it over the wet pads. To prevent this possible contamination, special filters would need to be installed.
- Central air conditioning units offer dehumidification. Because of their design, swamp coolers are unable to dehumidify a room.
Tips For Swamp Cooler Maintenance
1.)Â Always clean the outsideÂ swamp cooler parts.
- This is an easy task to helpÂ extend the life of your unit. Also, it helps to see your coolerÂ very cleanÂ when first seen.
- First, make sure that theÂ unit is turned offÂ before you start wipingÂ it with cloth.
- Do not use any harsh chemical or detergentsÂ when cleaning the outside unit.
2.) Next, inspect the evaporative cooling pads.
- See if they are still inÂ good conditionÂ orÂ need replacing.
- The pads are usually made in materials that resist mild dew such as the aspen wood shaving.
- It is best toÂ replace the pads once in two seasonsÂ at minimum. The ideal season to replace the pads is at theÂ start of summer season.
- Poor quality of waterÂ is theÂ major causeÂ why the pads get damage.
- Make sure also that youÂ clean the beltsÂ and that it isÂ free from cracksÂ when you also inspect the pads.
3.) Then, you clean the water tank.
- When your areaÂ uses hard water, this procedure isÂ very essential.
- Inspect if the water level, while the unit is working, if itâ€™s too low or high. If itâ€™sÂ not equalÂ you can correct the water level byÂ adjusting the float valve.
- Low waterÂ makes the coolerÂ not to work on its maximum levelÂ while havingÂ too much waterÂ will result toÂ water leakage.
4.) Check theÂ swamp cooler partsÂ if they produce proper air ventilation.
- Make sure that there isÂ adequate airÂ circulating to keep the humidity continuously producing and also the temperature outside the unit.
5.) It must have proper storage.
- TheÂ air filter and the pads must be removedÂ before you can store the unit.
- Make sure that you haveÂ drained and dry the tank from water.
- Find a place that isÂ dry and far from the foot traffic.
- You can store back the unit to its original back in times of winter season.
Getting Replacement Parts for Your Swamp Cooler
Most swamp cooler machines in the market are of high quality but it does not mean that they will not need swamp coolerÂ replacement parts.
The outlet where you bought your evaporative cooler is the ideal place to look for swamp cooler parts, as it will allow you toÂ get the exact componentsÂ that you need.
This is important since most brands will need specific parts to work efficiently. Thus, if you have a Champion evaporative cooler, you should look for Champion swamp cooler parts. If you have a Mastercool, limit your search to Mastercool swamp cooler parts only.
If a particular part is not available, you can turn to online retailers that could be selling the product you are looking for.
The Typical Swamp Cooler Parts That Needs Replacement
The main swamp cooler parts are the cooling pad, pump and fan.
The Cooling Pad
The difference between the temperature of the air before it goes into the cooler and after it exits it measures the efficiency of the swamp cooler, and the swamp cooler part that has the biggest influence on this factor is the cooling pad. Cooling pads are usually made ofÂ celluloseÂ or cedar shavings.
The Circulating Pump
One of the most vital swamp cooler parts, the pump circulates water inside the evaporative cooler, driving it through pad to be cooled down. For the water to remain cool the pump has to circulate it continuously much like in a carÂ radiator.
A swampÂ air coolerÂ is basically a big fan walled in by cooling pads inside a large frame similar to a box. The fan drives hot air outside into the pads, allowing it to cool down by as much as 30 degrees, as it evaporates molecules of water from the pads, which are continuously wetted down by the pump.
The fan then drives cooled air through the room and out a vent.
Swamp Cooler Vs Air Conditioner
There are people who will look for comfort from theÂ indoor air conditionerÂ every time it gets hot. But eventually there are certain buildings and apartments who may find air conditioning difficult. That is why they take refuge to the portable swamp cooler.
Both can serveÂ fine temperatureÂ in the environment but when it comes toÂ cooling techniquesÂ they eventuallyÂ differ from each other.
- The best aboutÂ air conditionerÂ is that they are good in a place where theÂ air is continuously circulating.
- As forÂ swamp cooler, they are best in a place where it onlyÂ needs to supply air and increase cooling effect.
Whatever types you like to choose for you house or building, it is essential that you mustÂ know the right equipmentÂ for you.
What type you choose will depend on theÂ climate of your place, theÂ cooling needs of your environment,Â and theÂ energy concernsÂ you have when it comes to electric bills.
Benefits of Using Air Conditioners
- Without dealing on the type you permanently install, the air conditioner gives youÂ full control over the indoor temperature.
- Itâ€™s good in producing aÂ supplemental cooling effectÂ to any existing air conditioning unit.
- It is also good for those places thatÂ do not allow permanent window units.
- This type of air conditioning comes in aÂ compact sizeÂ where you assemble it with a host running outside.
- TheÂ swamp cooler partsÂ of the systemÂ save you half the house energy bill.
- It is the mostÂ cost-effectiveÂ when it comes to staying cool all the time.
- Uses only theÂ simple process in evaporationÂ to produce cooling effects.
- TheÂ versatilityÂ of this cooler is another reason to own this one.
Benefits of Using Swamp Coolers
It isÂ studied in the United StatesÂ that using air conditioner can consume up toÂ 5 percent of the electricityÂ which cost all homeowners for aboutÂ 15 billion dollars. But since swamp cooler uses evaporation, it is likely that theyÂ consume 75 percent less of electricityÂ than the air conditioner.
TheÂ swamp cooler partsÂ consist ofÂ walled-fanÂ andÂ water soaked padsÂ whichÂ lower the temperatureÂ of about 20 degrees.
If any case you choose the swamp coolers, there are alsoÂ considerationsÂ to make. If you are only cooling some parts of your home,Â personal air coolerÂ is great. But if you are going toÂ cool warehouses,Â entertainment venues,Â andÂ stadiums,Â theÂ commercial swamp coolersÂ are the best.